Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 7 of 21

I'm one-third of the way! I'm seven days into my 21-day detox/cleanse. I'm seven days into a healthier lifestyle. And I'm down some pounds already!

So, that's one week down and two to go. Yesterday I started eating "real" food...and it was a little harder than I thought. I ate a small bowl of fruit for breakfast--apple, blueberry and strawberry. After breakfast, I met up with Jonni Webb at Village Beads in Ridgeland. I stayed busy all morning, stringing beads and creating a necklace and earrings (the earrings feature pottery by jr webb pottery, Jonni's pottery business.).


Wouldn't you know we met a lady at Village Beads who had been a patient at Enhanced Wellness. She said she used to refer to Kelly Engelmann as "the witch doctor." However, she said that when she was going, she felt better than she ever had, and talking to me today made her remember that. She says she wants to go back! Do it Pat!!! :-)

After beading, Jonni and went to lunch with our new beading friend at Signa Grill in Ridgeland, where I ordered a half salad with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, pepperoncinis, green and black olives. The dressing, however, kind of tripped me up. It was a shallot vinaigrette, which should have been fine, but for some reason, the acid of the vinegar was too much in my mouth. Are my taste buds changing? I ate a little over half of it, but that seemed to be fine.

After lunch I went grocery shopping. First to Fresh Market, then to Kroger. Eating healthy is NOT cheap--I bought the organic version of just about everything on my list, an that's always more expensive. My kitchen looks like a farmer's market. We have to eat all this produce this week or it will go bad. But the cost of the groceries is offset by so many other things: no snack foods, eating at home more than eating out, and of course, the long-term effects of (hopefully) getting off the blood-pressure medicine I've taken for 24 years and fewer doctor visits in the future.

(I need to add here that I was pretty disappointed in Fresh Market's produce section. Most everything except a small section was "conventionally-grown" produce. That means it was grown using pesticides and fertilizer. Also, the vast majority of the produce was from other countries. We should eat local and what's in season, and that's not what they offered. Boo on Fresh Market for not offering more locally-harvested, organic options. Kroger really beat you out on that level. There wasn't much I couldn't find in the ever-expanding organic section of Kroger.)

I wanted to get some exercise in today, but by the time I got home from grocery shopping and putting up all the groceries, I was beat. I think I'm a little weak from lack of food... So, instead, I smeared some of the almond butter I ground up at Fresh Market on a plain rice cake and savored it for a snack. I really liked the textural quality of the rice cake, and the almond butter was really tasty.

Dinner was sauteed onions, zucchini and red bell pepper--delicious. I also had a salad on the side and I put olive oil and balsamic on it.


Here's the kicker. The balsamic was TOO SWEET! After a week of no sugar, I'm wondering what's happening with my taste buds. In hindsight, I should have cooked up a chicken breast, but I didn't think about it. Tonight, we're having roasted chicken. I bought a whole roasting chicken from Fresh Market--all natural, with no antibiotics, etc.

It's almost easier NOT eating than dealing with adding food, but I am going to learn how to make this work for us. I think the trick is cooking way more than you need, then heating it up for meals later in the week.

I can do this! I will do this.

Blessings to all who read this!
Susan




No comments:

Post a Comment