Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 5 of 21

Biting. Chewing. Swallowing.

Who knew it could be so good???

Yesterday, after three days of NO FOOD, I was able to eat. Vegetables only.

I woke up and drank my "regular" concoction of fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice and Grade B organic maple syrup mixed into a a mug of hot water. It's surprisingly good, and fulfills my need to sip on something hot in the morning. While it's not as good as coffee, it's a decent substitute.

Lunch was steamed cabbage and sauteed onions. I seasoned it up with tumeric (it has anti-inflammatory properties), celery seed and sea salt and organic ground black pepper.

Dinner was sauteed yellow and zucchini squash with fresh thyme and roasted brussels sprouts (split in half, tossed lightly with organic olive oil and balsamic vinegar).

You may have noticed the word "organic" several times above. That's one of the keys to this detox. I'm trying to rid my body of the harmful chemicals and toxins from the years of processed foods and produce laden with pesticides and fertilizers. From now on, I'm eating clean...

Larry will tell you that organic is, no doubt, more expensive. I use five to six large lemons daily to make my special juice, and they are $1.00 each, opposed to 2/$1 for the "conventional" lemons. The good news is that the organic ones he's been buying for me are much larger. 



I'm also using organic green tea. My tea of choice is Yogi brand, and I'm mixing regular and decaf, about half and half, six tea bags a day (or more, if I drink a cup of hot tea). 


(Notice the Organic seal on the box!)

Another money-eater is the maple syrup. Grade B is more "watery" than Grade A, which is better for mixing well into the lemon juice concoction. It's about $7 or so for a 12-ounce bottle. I used 1 full bottle in the first four days. 

Of course, all this is offset by the fact that I'm not drinking coffee ($$), or eating much. And the price I'm paying is worth having a healthier, slimmer body. 

I added the "shake" from the detox kit I got at Enhanced Wellness. I had to drink one in the morning and one last night. I wasn't so crazy about it. I mixed it with water, because I can't have anything else right now, and the flavor was less than appealing. But it is chocked full of the nutrients my body needs at this point, so I chugged it down. I also had to take two of the gi-normous capsules in the morning and again at night. I felt a little bit nauseated for a brief time yesterday but that passed. 

Still, all in all, it's going well. I was busy working yesterday, writing two articles and doing research for another. I think staying busy is a good thing, but staying busy at home is even better. I'm thankful I work out of my home right now. This would be really hard if I had to go out in the world every day.

More veggies today. Yum.

I can do this. I will do this.

Blessings to all who read this!
Susan




No comments:

Post a Comment