Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Loving the 'net

I'm writing this tonight, because I have a busy day tomorrow and have to get an early start...

Stop me...stop me NOW! I have become a blogging addict. I love to read other people's blogs. It's like a little window into their world. Some people have blogs dedicated to their families and they fill it with photos of the daily goings on in their lives. No matter how monumental or inconsequential. I mean, thanks for sharing your precious baby's throw-up with us--NOT. Although some of them are really cute and touching and heartwarming and even inspiring. I remember what it was like to be a young mother. A young working mother. At times (most times) it was overwhelming. Reading these blogs brings back memories, but also a twinge of regret that I didn't have that kind of support and network to other moms who were going through the same things I was. Most of the mommy bloggers handle it all with alot of humor. With a blog called http://mommywantsvodka.psys.org/ you just know life's gonna be alright!

I also enjoy home decorating blogs, particularly those that repurpose everyday items into splendid accessories for the home. Some are reallllllllly tacky, while some are incredibly clever and creative. One of my favorites used to be http://www.thenester.com/, although now you have to kind of weed through her ads and giveaways to see her true blog, complete with photos. Now this chick, The Nester, is like the ROCK STAR of bloggers. Women flock to her site and from what I've read, they actually ask for her autograph at blogging conferences. I watched the You Tube video tour of her home (which pretty much just included the entry hall) and it cracked me up. First, there's the giggly Nester-groupie at the beginning. Then, there's the house...nice, but not THAT nice. Right off the bat I noticed an empty urn by her front door. I'd rather keep my fake Christmas trees standing in the urns on either side of my front door until Easter than have empty urns. And inside, nothing special...she even brags about the hastily made pillows on her sofa. And the comments slay me: "LOVE netster! Her house is just stunning!!!! Its so fun to see it "for real" not just in photos on the blog!" These people have obviously not seen my friend Ann's house. Or Jacqui's house. Or Debbie's house...or MY house, for that matter. Oh enough...view the video for your own self: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLOLZp-ZJ4

For the past couple of days, I've been reading writer's blogs. These are totally different. Some review books and some post their writings, or what they're doing to promote their writing, etc. It's been very eye-opening for me, since I want to write a book on Nicole's accident and miraculous recovery. Today, my friend Nancy Kay sent me the link to a writer's conference that will be held at Ole Miss in October. So, in rooting around on that, I came across a blogger who I felt an instant kinship with. She's originally from Jackson, graduated from Murrah, and now lives in Memphis. And not only that, she's going to the Girlfriend Weekend in Jefferson, Texas this weekend. So am I! And she's riding over with River Jordan, one of the authors we've read in our book club! Too much. I immediately friended her on facebook, and she messaged me right back, and that began an afternoon of banter back and forth. So, now I'm going to meet one of my new best friends in Texas this weekend!

Sometimes, I believe that with all the "stuff" there is in the universe (and 98% of that is now on the internet) God has a way of leading us to people we're supposed to meet. I mean, how else do you explain a white bread Southern girl like me meeting/falling in love with/'getting married to a swell guy from Venezuela? (And that was almost 30 years ago!) My new friend with the beautiful name, Susan, lives a parallel life to my own. She's a writer, a reader, and a lover of life! I'd like to introduce you to her: http://wwwpenandpalette-susancushman.blogspot.com/.

This has been long...lots of extracurricular linkage going on today. All to say, I love the internet...I love connecting with friends old and new...and I'm seriously thinking of powering my computer with bike pedals so I can at least get some exercise while reading all the creative blogs.

QUESTION: Do you read certain blogs regularly? If so, what are your favorites and why? Please leave a comment and if you are a HUGE fan of the Nester, please don't hate me...

Y'all say a prayer for those poor people in Haiti, who are suffering following the devastating earthquake there, and for all the people in Jackson who have been adversely affected by the broken pipes/water shortage. I'm extra thankful tonight that I live in a warm, cozy home with plenty of running water. God's been good to me.

Blessings to all who read this!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment