Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hot Days, Hot Water

At 10:15 last night, my fav weathergal, Barbie Bassett, announced that the heat index was 91. I went outside with Roxie and I believe she was right. It was HOT outside. It just makes me want to sit under a ceiling fan set at helicopter speed and sip on a glass of iced tea.

I don't do hot weather well. We went to dig daylilies last Sunday, and it wore me out for the rest of the day. Now I have to go to Leslie's and separate them, bring them home and plant them. I'm considering admiring them in Leslie's garden instead of my own...

For anyone who has to get out in this heat, I'm sorry for you. It's times like this that I'm especially thankful that I work out of my home. I can hang out in shorts and write. And thankfully, I've been writing alot lately. Assignments seem to be picking up, which is good, because we've had a run of unexpected, yet necessary expenses. Aging vehicles have needed repairs, things are wearing out in our 15-year-old home, and just this week, a crown needed repair and I got word that I need a root canal ($1000....out the window)...

I think back to the Good Mood Blogger contest and how I wish I had won. That would have been $5000 a month. My writing skills were there, but Bridget from California had it all over me on "social networking skills." I had 10,000 votes to her 17,000. I've learned alot since then--I've actually been to workshops and conferences on blogging and social networking skills. It's times like this, when we're in a bit of hot water, that I wish I had known then what I know now!

But, like so many others, I trudge on...working hard to get ahead. And I'm fine with that. As a matter of fact, today I'm doing a Scentsy party at Methodist Rehab. I'm taking my 80+ scents up to the sixth floor physical therapy office at lunch time where I'll be taking orders. It will be fun to see all our favorite pt's and ot's. I have such a special place in my heart for them, because they truly taught Nicole how to walk again. And to dress herself. And to do so many other little things that we daily take for granted.

Speaking of Nicole, she continues to improve every day. She walks on her own with more confidence, and it's amazing to see her go up and down our front steps with no assistance at all. She works so hard in physical therapy and with her trainer, Eclecius, and working with her Bioness devices which help to restore her hand function.

The next step for Nicole is INDEPENDENCE. She needs to be on her own or she'll go crazy. That means she needs to be financially independent as well as physically independent. She's working towards both. She's getting more and more speaking gigs and she's been hired to do choreography for a summer theatre camp in a couple of weeks. Baby steps, but encouraging.

Son Joseph is watching all the progress his sister is making...it inspires him in school, as he works towards his degree in physical therapy. This summer, he's taking Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II. His girlfriend, Emily, is in his class (she's in nursing), so they are studying together.

Because of their drive, I don't feel so bad about working hard to stay afloat. I know I'm blessed to have two beautiful children who have overcome adversity to excel. I'm happy that I can use my talents to supplement our household income.  And just as we know this hot weather will eventually pass, Larry and I know we can weather anything together--from tragic accidents, financial downturns, and anything else life throws at us.

Blessings to all who read this!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. We can arrange for you to admire the daylilies, if you don't have time to get them. They won't get in the ground until Sunday.

    ReplyDelete