Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough

What a media circus surrounding Michael Jackson's untimely demise. I have to admit, hearing all the snippets of his songs reminded me that his was the soundtrack of so many of our lives. I remember singing to the Jackson Five when I was in elementary school--ABC,123...I Want You Back...I'll Be There...then in high school...and college and beyond. Thriller was released when I was pregnant with Nicole--over 26 years ago!

Josh is dedicating his karaoke night at Hal & Mal's to Michael Jackson. All MJ, all night. He's encouraged everyone attending to dress up, so I guess there will be lots of glitter gloves, red jackets, military attire, white socks and black shoes...and make-up, lots of make-up. I'm not going (too hot! too late! I'm old!) but if I did, I'd show up with a big bandage on my nose. Enough said.

I had a nice evening out with Dominick and Tiffany last night. I met up with the two of them at Soulshine Pizza in Madison, where they were eating dinner with Larry and Nicole. We actually sat outside and it was comfortable. Not humid and muggy like the night before. Dom told us about his latest mission with the Marines to Africa--he just got back this past weekend after spending a month there. I'm so proud of him! He and Tif found an apartment that they are really excited about and they're moving this weekend.

After dinner, we went to the movies--we saw "Up" in 3D. It was such a touching, poignant movie to be animated. I thought it was just me, at the tailend of a long day, but my friend/neighbor Phyllis told me this morning that she cried almost all the way through it. So, it wasn't just me...

I'm back in the writing saddle again--several assignments (thank God!). I feel like I'm getting back to normal again. We are so glad to have Megan in our life this summer. She's been a godsend, taking care of Nicole by day so I can work. She and Nicole are cut out to the same cloth and they get along great. I don't know how Nicole will ever replace her when Megan goes to college this fall. If anyone knows of a fun, flexible person who would like to work with Nicole 8 hours a day/five days a week starting in mid-August, let us know!

I did get away for a couple hours today to hang in/around our friend Julie's pool. Jacqui and I went over and became sun goddesses for awhile. It felt good, but the sun pretty much wipes me out. I was worthless this afternoon. So, what are we going to do? Do it all over again tomorrow! Why not??? It's summer, and the living is easy!

I'm heading to bed early. For some reason, I'm feeling a little "out of sorts" tonight. Not really sad, just a little melancholy, I guess. I suppose I'm mourning for both of my kids...neither of them is doing what they want right now. However, I don't really think my mourning is necessary, as both of them seem very accepting of their situation and they both seem to be making the best of it. Life lesson #241: "No matter what, life goes on, so live life to the fullest!" I'm gonna follow Michael's advice: "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough!"

Blessings to all who read this!
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit melancholy, despite the sunshine and fun.

    I have to say that I'm familiar with that slight nagging feeling of grief, despite all logic saying that there's no real need to grieve. As well as feeling sadness for your children, I'm sure you must be so proud of them that they're not letting circumstances dictate to them, but are carrying on being who they are, despite everything.

    Love to all of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,
    You are one of my heroes! You seem to live life to the fullest as well, despite your circumstances. You are an inspiration to Nicole, and to me! We are thankful you are in our (cyber)lives! Thanks for your words of encouragement.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete