Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day!

As we celebrate the birth of our nation, we are all reminded of how very blessed we are to be independent. We live in a country where we are free to think and speak the way we want and not be worried about repercussions.

Today, I'm reminded as well of how blessed most of us are to be independent in how we move our bodies. I've been around so many wheelchair-bound folks in the past several months in rehab, so I am all the more grateful for the legs I have and that they move my body so well whereever I want to go. As I watch Nicole slowly regain her independence, I'm so impressed by her will to move forward each day. Things that once came so easily, like opening a container or holding a Q-tip, are now so difficult. Where she would have once danced down a hallway, she moves ever so slowly, one step at a time.

But last night, she walked down a hallway without the use of a walker or cane. We were heading back out on the roof of the Fondren Corner building and Larry and I were with her. On a whim, she took off down the long corridor, taking a few steps. They came easier to her than ever before since her accident, so she took a few more, until she made it all the way down the hall. It was a triumphant moment for us all!

Later in the evening, Nicole was standing at the karaoke microphone, and she looked so "normal" and natural. She even moved her hips a bit as she sang, and it was so great for Larry and I to watch her.

Many months ago, Dr. Winkelmann warned Nicole not to put her life on hold. He said that she should live her life to the fullest each day with what she's got right now. It's so good to see her doing just that. And it's certainly affected the way Larry and I live our lives now. We live each day now to the fullest, because we realize each day is a gift.

So, we look at independence of all kinds today and count our many blessings. Larry is working, Joe is in Orange Beach, so that leaves Nicole and I to spend the Fourth of July together. I'm not sure how we'll spend the afternoon and evening...but whatever it is will be fun and we'll have a good time doing it together.

Blessings to all who read this!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment