Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hot, but quiet...

Baby, it's hot outside! I can't hardly think for trying to stay cool. I will consider selling plasma in order to keep the thermostat turned waaaaay down low! I have decided in my now-one-year-older age and new-found fluffiness that I do not like being hot. I'm just sayin'...

There's been alot going on in our wacky world! We moved Nicole out of the house last week, and into a house in Belhaven where she will live with three roommates. Everyone's been asking me if I'm sad, but I can't say that I am. I see this as a triumph! It's just not normal for a 27-year-old woman to live at home in the room she grew up in. Not for us, anyway.

While we've loved having Nicole at home, getting to know her on a different level, there's still that part of me that sees the tiny, petite girl instead of the strong-willed woman. She is, after all, the same size she was in the ninth grade, so subconsciously, I tend to treat her as if she's that age. We've gone through the trials of "pulling away" once already when she was a senior in high school, ready to spread her wings and go to college. The past few months were like living that all over again, ten years later. Emotionally, and thankfully, physically, Nicole was ready to move on.

So we moved all her worldly possesions on some of the hottest days in recorded history. Of course.

And as if moving wasn't enough to prove her ability to live independently, Nicole took a trip to Seattle for a wedding last weekend--by herself. Talk about letting go...

It was a giant step for someone who couldn't even walk less than two years ago, and she managed just fine, thank you very much. At this point, there's not much she can't do, and I have a feeling she's going to make up for lost time! I'm so incredibly thankful!

And now, my house is quiet and more conducive to my work...I can begin writing early in the morning without hearing loud music, or having to stop to fix breakfast. It's beginning to come back to me how much I enjoyed that when Nic was living in New York and Joe was away at school. As much as I love my little birds, I have to admit that an empty nest rocks!

I usually get up an hour or so before Larry, and I tend to hit the computer right away. Then Larry gets up and we have breakfast together, play with Roxie, and make witty comments on whatever stories are on the early shows, then he goes to get ready for work and I get back to my writing. It's a nice little routine.

Nicole will begin training her new personal care assistant today, and continue on with her extensive physical and occupational therapy, along with working out with Eclecius five days a week, plus a yoga class here and there. She's also working hard on her motivational speaking career, which is how she'll pay her rent. Just yesterday, she spoke to a group of about 40 United Methodist Women from Galloway Church at a luncheon at the Methodist Rehab Center. I was invited as well, and enjoyed seeing how poised and polished she's gotten. That was her 28th talk since her accident. But she's got to book some paying gigs soon! She's got a few people working on her behalf, mainly Brenda Judin, who will be helping to book speaking engagements for Nicole. Also, she's signed on with Premier Speakers in Nashville, so she can be booked that way as well.

I can't wrap up this blog post without mentioning the Beebe Family Reunion, which I attended with my parents, Joe and his girlfriend, Emily, last Saturday in Monroe, Louisiana. It's always fun to be around family, and there's just nothing quite like a covered-dish lunch! The star of the show was the halibut that the Birmingham family caught on their trip to visit cousin Larry in Alaska. They were so sweet to share it with us!
On the way home, we got my dad to stop at Daquiri World so we could buy lottery tickets. $10 later, we scratched off all the numbers to learn we won...another lottery ticket! But it was fun.

After a trip to Atlanta this weekend, Joe and Emily will start school on Monday...Emily in nursing and Joe in occupational therapy. I'm praying for a safe trip for them.

Everything and everyone seems to be settling into their rightful place. Now, if the weather would just cool off 20 degrees or so, I'd say life would be just about perfect!

Blessings to all who read this!

1 comment:

  1. Another atta' girl! Relating Big Time to the need for routine -- maybe come September? Or October?