Thursday, January 20, 2011

On the Road Again...and Ready to Write!


I'm psyched about writing again! Yep, I'm encouraged, motivated, inspired and ready to write!

What in the world has gotten into me? Well, first of all, I'm still on the "Girlfriend's Weekend" high! It was my second annual trek to Jefferson, Texas for the long weekend extravaganza that is all about authors, books, readers, and fun. I can't even say it's unorganized, because I think to be UN-organized, you have to first be organized, which that event is not. Yet, miraculously, it all seems to come together, and despite things not being done the way I'd do them, it's awesome! (And the best part is, I didn't have to do it, so who am I to complain?)

To give you an idea what Girlfriend's Weekend is all about, take a look at this:
Yep...that's Fannie Flagg, talking to the group about her writing life, and her new book I Still Dream About You. (Which I did get signed!). Later on that evening, she joined us at the "Big Ball of Hair," where everyone was to dress as their favorite book character. She came as a grown-up version of Pippi Longstocking. It was hysterical! I even got her to do a "happy birthday Dolores, DORIS!" video for my mama! (She got the name wrong the first time, then looked dead in the camera and said "Well Doris, now you know that I've gone completely insane!!!")

We were dressed as Kathy Patrick, the author of

(Which, by the way, you can get for one cent right now on Amazon.com.
With $3.99 shipping, that's only $4 for the book!) Our club took first place for our costumes!

Pat Conroy was back for a second year, along with his daughter, Melissa, who wrote a children's book called "Poppy's Pants." Many wonderful authors were there as well, including one of our bookclub favorties and Mississippi native, Neil White, author of "In the Sanctuary of Outcasts." Now, Neil is quite a handsome fellow, but he had to step out in drag this weekend, and I don't want to be the one to tell him that he makes one ugly woman!
That's Neil on the left, posing with one of our bookclub members, Cherry Prather. Don't let his looks fool you--he's a wonderful author, and if you haven't read his book, you should do so. Here are a few more pics from our fun weekend:

Fried Green Tomatoes, in honor or Fannie Flagg's visit.


A dozen or so Kathy Patricks posing with the REAL Kathy Patrick!


Jamie Ford, author of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet,  with his wife
Enough said.
After dinner at LaMacha's, in the historic Jefferson Inn.
Pat Conroy signing his new book, My Writing Life, for Brownie Shott.

So, as if I wasn't inspired to write after going to Girlfriend Weekend, I've had several more literary experinces. Our bookclub (the BB Queens) met Monday night at Lemuria, where we discussed the book "Janeology," by Karen Herington. We met Karen in Texas, and she agreed to do a call-in during our discussion. It's always inspiring to hear the authors tell about their books.

Also this week, I went to a meeting of the Mississippi Writer's Guild, of which I am a member. Nancy Kay Wessman went with me, as we have decided to be "writing partners." I haven't been to a MWG meeting in several months, and there were lots of new faces there. It was fun meeting fellow writers, and hearing what kinds of things they are working on. Afterwards, I went to Nancy Kay's, and we shared what our plans and aspirations are for books written and in the works. We are going to pace each other, meeting weekly to hold each other accountable so that we'll do a better job of staying on track. My main focus now is preparing to write a book on Nicole's journey. I'm going to Maine the entire month of May to write. There are lots of ducks to get in a row before then, especially my financial ducks...I've got to make some money and fast!!!

One of the ways I'm raising money for my trip is by selling hand-knitted caps...hand-knitted by ME! I learned how to do it now long ago, and ever since I've been a knitting fool. I'm primarily making baby hats (makes a great baby gift!!!), but can make children and adult hats, too. If you want to give a thoughtful gift that will help a starving writer, let me know! I'm packaging them up really cute and they'll be ready to give. Here's one I made on the way to Jefferson last Thursday:

If you want a hat, email me at larssue@aol.com. I'll email you photos/prices of ones I have on hand,
or I'll knit one up in the color(s) of your choice!

I was motivated enough to write this blog today, and now I'm off to the next big adventure (a new car?! We'll see! Stay tuned!!!).

Blessings to all who read this!

Susan

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Susan!

    And you're right about the managed chaos of the weekend--somehow it all comes together... :)

    ReplyDelete